Moonclip modification

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

IsleShoot

Moonclip modification

#1 Post by IsleShoot »

I've tried a searching but couldn't find anything other than general discussion on Taurus LBR's and moonclips so apologies if I'm missed a previous thread but I'm looking for someone to modify my Taurus .45 ACP cylinder to accept moonclips.

I've had a go at grinding down the moonclips themselves and whilst this does work it's a long and laborious process with varying results, what I'd like is to have the job done properly.

I've tried contacting Westlake but no response? Does anybody know of or recommend anybody else who could do this work for me?
25Pdr

Re: Moonclip modification

#2 Post by 25Pdr »

IsleShoot wrote:I've tried a searching but couldn't find anything other than general discussion on Taurus LBR's and moonclips so apologies if I'm missed a previous thread but I'm looking for someone to modify my Taurus .45 ACP cylinder to accept moonclips.

I've had a go at grinding down the moonclips themselves and whilst this does work it's a long and laborious process with varying results, what I'd like is to have the job done properly.

I've tried contacting Westlake but no response? Does anybody know of or recommend anybody else who could do this work for me?
I'd just get some 45 Auto Rim Cases...

Seem to be about 25 Cents each. Lucky it's not a 455 they are £1.45 each. :o

That is if there is sufficient head space, I know we used to use them in our S&W 1917 Revolvers.
DavidRees
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#3 Post by DavidRees »

25Pdr wrote: I'd just get some 45 Auto Rim Cases...

Seem to be about 25 Cents each. Lucky it's not a 455 they are £1.45 each. :o

That is if there is sufficient head space, I know we used to use them in our S&W 1917 Revolvers.
Unfortunately .45AR cases are not easy to source in the UK (it took me more than a year to get hold of a reasonable quantity). Worse, though, is that some Taurus .45ACPs at least indeed do not have sufficient headspace to permit their use -- I tried two when considering such a gun, and neither functioned properly with them.

Though I don't know of anyone who can mill off some of the back cylinder face, I think that's your best way forward -- then you could use standard moonclips, or .45AR cases, as you wished.
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

I thought the .45ACP ran eith moon clips as is, why the "modification" needed?

That said, there's one man still working, I believe, who was a fantastic pistol smith, Peter Sarony at Armalon.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
IsleShoot

#5 Post by IsleShoot »

Thanks Sim, I'll investigate the Armalon route.

Currently there isn't enough room between cylinder and frame to use moonclips, in fact the min/max overall length on the .45 is pretty tight. My first 100rds had to be fired off singley as although the rounds were within load data tolerances they still occassionaly fouled on the frame.

I don't want to go the Auto Rim case route as I'd like to use the .45 for matches etc... so quick reloads with the moonclips is definately my preference (I have unrealist ideas of Miculek granadure), plus it saves time scrabbling around in the long grass for lost brass!
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by mr smith »

The only .45acp taurus i've seen came with skinny and easily bent moonclips.The owner thought about getting the cylinder reworked to take the thicker smith and wesson IIRC moonclips.I don't think he bothered in the end as he barly shoots it.
Sixshot6

#7 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:I thought the .45ACP ran eith moon clips as is, why the "modification" needed?

That said, there's one man still working, I believe, who was a fantastic pistol smith, Peter Sarony at Armalon.
Have you ever had any work done by him Sim? I was amazed at where he is (a bunker right in the 8 square mile) and he does good Lee work too. Especially the pistol cal versions, I kept trying to talk my dad into one but he's happy with his 44 marlin and ruger. Off topic but has anyone tried to find someone who'd combine a ruger 96/44 mag with a 44 desert eagle mag to make a 10 rounder?

Also get the moonclip work done, it will likely be more cost effective than finding 45 auto rim, unless you handload alot. And some moonclips are better than others, I suspect the taurus was designed with some real flimsy ones in mind, if only the made some for the 980 though..... I can dream.
Brookers

#8 Post by Brookers »

The .45 ACP Taurus came with very thin moon clips. Problem is Taurus moon clips seem to made of unobtanium.
If I was you I would talk to Steve Pike at Shield shooting Centre, 01308 482626, Steve is very good with Taurus revolvers and has moon clipped a .38 Taurus for me in the past and it was a very good and effective conversion. He also does a very good trigger job ;-)

HTH

Brookers
IsleShoot

#9 Post by IsleShoot »

Thanks Brookers I'll give Steve a call.
Sim G

#10 Post by Sim G »

So the .45 ACP Taurus does use moon clips, just they're crap, is that it?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!