red dots and other optics for LBPs

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

BrunelTR

red dots and other optics for LBPs

#1 Post by BrunelTR »

I am looking at getting a nice lightweight browning buckmark (courtesy of Alan Westlake) made up and I am interested in hearing some thoughts on optics. Has anyone got some good ideas on appropriate red dot sight? Alternatively is it worth putting a pistol scope on and if so what scope?

Im using this to start up in pistol shooting so I want to gain a bit of marksmanship with it before taking it to some of the gallery rifle competitions and possibly the NRA handgun league for some extra fun.

Cheers
techguy

Re: red dots and other optics for LBPs

#2 Post by techguy »

I have a shield mini red dot sight on my LBP, which is nice. Think I might try out the 65moa version soon though. Looks a bit quicker for target acquisition.

The c-more railway is another good choice too..
GRSporth1

#3 Post by GRSporth1 »

I have an Aimpoint Micro on mine. Tried two other red dots (one cheapo, one non-cheapo), returned both of them before settling on that.

If you're just starting pistol you might find the "wobble" visible through a scope to be distracting.
Brookers

#4 Post by Brookers »

techguy wrote:I have a shield mini red dot sight on my LBP, which is nice. Think I might try out the 65moa version soon though. Looks a bit quicker for target acquisition.

The c-more railway is another good choice too..
I tried the 65 moa dot on a lbr, doesn't work . It is intended for a shotgun and mounted close to your face, put it at arms length and the 65 moa ring is too large for the screen.

Brookers
sharps4065

#5 Post by sharps4065 »

I'll second that Brookers. A 4 or 6 moa C-More is the way to go. I originally had a 2 moa on my C-More but found it hard to pick up at times, washed out in the sun. I changed it to a 6moa and it's just right for the UK. I believe the Shield comes as 4moa as standard and Double Alpha's C-More Railway is 6moa.
BrunelTR

#6 Post by BrunelTR »

Cheers guys I will have a look around based on your suggestions.
qws

#7 Post by qws »

Hi, I have a Crimson Trace Green laser on my LBP. Very fast target acquisition. Just point and shoot. I even find aslong the the laser is set up correctly I do not need to use the iron sights.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

These lasers are great for RCOs too as they show exactly how good a shooters muzzle awareness is and how often they point off target/back stop when there is a live round in the chamber.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bitfield

#9 Post by bitfield »

I put a laser on my K22, and indeed it works well and is a lot of fun. However, due to the flexible polymer frame, it's difficult to clamp the laser tight enough on the rail to stop it moving around, and still have the gun cycle reliably - the squeezed frame constricts the slide and stops it going fully into battery.

I find iron sights shooting more challenging and interesting anyway. The laser almost makes it too easy!
qws

#10 Post by qws »

I can understand this, but my Sig is all metal and correct sized picatinny rail. So I have no problems ref the slide not working etc