Meteorite.

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
Jenks

Meteorite.

#1 Post by Jenks »

Some years ago whilst out on a days beating in the middle of a ploughed field I found this, what I think is a meteorite. It consists of three spherical balls about the size of golf balls fused together I'm guessing from the colour and weight (529g) that it consists mainly of iron. Anyone an expert on such things?

Jenks
wildrover77

Re: Meteorite.

#2 Post by wildrover77 »

I have a heap of those I picked them up in the desert in Saudi Arabia.

Always suspected they were metorites but never found out.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I remember seeing one of these when I was studying Geology but that was 40 years ago. I am not so sure it is a meteorite....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Jenks

#4 Post by Jenks »

wildrover77 wrote:I have a heap of those I picked them up in the desert in Saudi Arabia.

Always suspected they were metorites but never found out.

Did you find any that were like mine, fused together that is.

ovenpaa wrote:I remember seeing one of these when I was studying Geology but that was 40 years ago. I am not so sure it is a meteorite....

I assumed that they were meteorites because they were found in a field in Hampshire, and the only possible way they could have been subjected to heat sufficient to fuse them together (given the distance from an active volcano) would I'm guessing be from entering the earths atmosphere. Of course it is just possible that they are not fused together and were formed naturally like that. Anyway they make a nice paperweight. :D

Thanks for the input chaps. :D

Jenks
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I do wonder if they are a form of Geode, if not it is on the tip of my tongue and will probably come to me in the middle of a meeting when I should be paying attention to something else :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

Brass monkeys!

Does anyone know what brass monkeys really are?

No cheating, Jenks!

:D ;) :lol:
Jenks

#7 Post by Jenks »

Robin128 wrote:Brass monkeys!

Does anyone know what brass monkeys really are?

No cheating, Jenks!

:D ;) :lol:
Yes, I do know, but right at this moment I can't recall. is it not something to do with stacking cannon balls?

Jenks.
Robin128

#8 Post by Robin128 »

Bang on!

:D
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by bobbob »

Yes, it is for stacking cannon balls. Stops them rolling away. I think I saw something about it on the Cutty Sark years ago. Isn't it where the saying about freezing the balls of a brass monkey comes about? Metals contracting and expanding at different rates or something. I'll Google it now and get the full story. :?
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

bobbob wrote:Yes, it is for stacking cannon balls. Stops them rolling away. I think I saw something about it on the Cutty Sark years ago. Isn't it where the saying about freezing the balls of a brass monkey comes about? Metals contracting and expanding at different rates or something. I'll Google it now and get the full story. :?

"freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

Cannonballs are made of cast iron and the monkey that they stand on is brass. As it gets colder the metals contract, with brass contracting more than iron so eventually the brass monkey becomes too small and the balls are forced up, become unstable and roll off.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.