Wanted PDA or phone with ballistic FTE new version loaded on

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
ANDY T

#1 Post by ANDY T »

Hi
Must be running of with no problems with any soft wear and battery has i have had both problems in the past.
Will not be using phone as phone just for load data
Andy
Dangermouse

Re: Wanted PDA or phone with ballistic FTE new version loade

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

I got a good as new 3rd Generation I pod touch from ebay for just under £100. It is now running a couple of apps for my shooting as well as many other bits and bobs - the most useful or addictive is being able to check the Internet / email and this site where ever I am in the house.
I would say that these have a terrible record where water is involved and I would not get it out in the rain.

DM
ANDY T

#3 Post by ANDY T »

Dangermouse wrote:I got a good as new 3rd Generation I pod touch from ebay for just under £100. It is now running a couple of apps for my shooting as well as many other bits and bobs - the most useful or addictive is being able to check the Internet / email and this site where ever I am in the house.
I would say that these have a terrible record where water is involved and I would not get it out in the rain.

DM

Hi DN
Are you saying that you are selling this 3rd Generation I pod touch or that i should go for one do you run ballistic FTE on it.
Andy
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

Apologies Andy, should have made it clearer.
Not selling, just thought I would give you an idea of a possibility if you had not looked into it. I liked the I Touch as it is not a phone and thus has no contract to pay, apart from that it does most other things the phone does.

How much are you looking to spend? The new Kestrel meters have soft wear added but will be top dollar,

DM
ANDY T

#5 Post by ANDY T »

Dangermouse wrote:I got a good as new 3rd Generation I pod touch from ebay for just under £100. It is now running a couple of apps for my shooting as well as many other bits and bobs - the most useful or addictive is being able to check the Internet / email and this site where ever I am in the house.

DM
Hi DM
Thanks for that i did't know that thanks, how was it to down load the apps any problems, sounds like something i should be looking for. do you run ballistic FTE on it
Was only looking to spend around a £100 max with ballistic FTE new version loaded on
Andy
Rifleman798

#6 Post by Rifleman798 »

Andy,

Have a look on Ebay for an Ipod touch or even pop into Currys or other electrical stores and try to get the best price. Ballistic FTE costs £11.99 from the App store. Job done. There are some bargins out there, Just having the time to find them. Hope that helps

James
ANDY T

#7 Post by ANDY T »

Rifleman798 wrote:Andy,

Have a look on Ebay for an Ipod touch or even pop into Currys or other electrical stores and try to get the best price. Ballistic FTE costs £11.99 from the App store. Job done. There are some bargins out there, Just having the time to find them. Hope that helps

James

Hi James
Will they load the apps you want or do you do them your self????
Andy
Dangermouse

#8 Post by Dangermouse »

I read the review on Accurate shooter for the Ballistic FTE, it appears to do a lot of what my Mil dot app does and at this time I chose not to buy another.
I have had mixed results using the Mil-dot App with a previous barrel, some ranges it was spot on, others it was out. But I also found this with the JBM soft wear, which I thought the Mil dot app was using, as well as Bryan Litz own programme on the PC.

Bryan will tell you rubbish in = rubbish out and will tell you that the programs are correct it is the information that we put in them that is faulty, unfortunately with the exception of using a chronograph,we are reliant on getting our down range information form the above sites which is not always consistent.

What am I saying? Well I would say that as far as target shooting is concerned most apps will get you on paper, but do not expect a V Bull first shot. If I was hunting, I would be reluctant to use an app with my current set up - but it is still early days for me and I might just make a load which hits the sweet spot and works with the App.
I would not spend too much money on a system, I believe it is more important to spend the money on ammunition and range time thus getting real world information.

So far my I Touch has worked really well, no problems with anything other than dropping it on the screen two days in - It still has a cracked screen top corner as I know that as soon as I replace it I will drop it again!
Loading Apps is really easy - honest, if you get confused grab the nearest 7 year old and they will do it in minutes,
DM
Rifleman798

#9 Post by Rifleman798 »

Hi Andy

I havn't used these apps personally so cannot comment on the accuracy etc. I still use me data book with me charts etc. Nice and waterproofed. Take everything DM said there onboard. As for the app, Just go to the app store, Find what your looking for, Pay, Install, Enjoy. Hope this has helped.

Cheers

James
ANDY T

#10 Post by ANDY T »

Wanted 3rd Generation Ipod touch