European Firearms Directive already affecting the UK..??

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

European Firearms Directive already affecting the UK..??

#1 Post by Daryll »

I remember there was talk about this firearms directive a few months ago, but wasn't aware it had come in already...??

Yesterday I ordered a couple of 25rnd mags for my HK MP5 .22, and this morning I got a call saying they had refunded my order, as "Due to the European Fireams directive stopping the sale of 25 and 30 rnd magazines"....?!?!

Anyone else had this...?? This would affect sales of Ruger BX 25, and all the mags for the .22lr AR type rifles...
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: European Firearms Directive already affecting the UK..??

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I haven't, and its quite worrying that its seemingly in force without any UK legislation being passed (AFAIK) to describe how it will work?? Many be just an overly keen RFD? wallhead
DVC
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#3 Post by Fedaykin »

Who did you order the magazines off?

There hasn't been a peep about it by any of the governing bodies or anti leaning organisations like Continuity ACPO or NABIS.

Many of us mini rifle and service rifle shooters have stacks of 25rd and 30rd magazines as attrition replacements. Feed lips get damaged over time even when you take care of them. Easier to get another mag then trying to bend it back.

I usually buy AR15 type magazines for my Vz.58 from army surplus places, can usually pick up a stack cheap at Army surplus fairs from stall holders who don't know the value. Once got four HK steel high reliability magazines for £20 from a stall holder who did not know better.

Just had a look at the Soldier of Fortune website and they have this disclaimer up:
Due to British Customs restrictions we cannot ship gun magazines, replica hand grenades, inert bullets, de-activated guns or replica guns outside of the UK. We can only send them to a U.K. address (excluding the Isle of Man, Isle of Scilly and the Channel Islands which we cannot ship to because of flight restrictions).
So I wonder if things are tightening up and this is an over enthusiastic dealer. Really need more information as this would be a colossal pain if the back side for mini and service rifle shooters. Zardoz forbid we ever have to use those silly Canadian coupled 10rd AR15 magazines!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Daryll

#4 Post by Daryll »

Ok, Just had an email clarifying the situation, it sounds like the retailer's supplier (European??) cannot get the larger capacity magazines for the MP5 due to the regulations.

Some large cap. magazines are available for other rifles, but once they have gone, no more will be available.

Edit, just seen the last post... i ordered from Northern Optics

Edit 2, after getting this call, i emailed Mcavoys asking about their stock...just got this back:
"If it is the Umarex you require we are currently unable to source these. We believe this is true of the whole of the UK."
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#5 Post by Fedaykin »

Hmmm Umarex a European manufacturer, I bet this will affect GSG as well. I own a GSG STG44 and sensibly got a second 25rd Magazine when I bought it. So European made mini rifle are going to face issues unless the manufacturers can be persuaded to make them for other markets or license out.

Maybe time to buy a couple extra spare 25rd magazines whilst UK stockists hold them? European made centrefire AR15 not a real issue as you can source 20-30rd magazines here.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Daryll

#6 Post by Daryll »

It could be a Umarex thing rather than the EU... or Umarex pre-empting a Firearm Directive.

I've asked Mcavoys about the MP5 10 rnd mags, they don't have those either...

I would wait until I'm in the US later this year, where the 25 rnd mags are less than half the price they are here... but then I could fall foul of ITAR... :(
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

From Zib Militaria's website, magazine section;

"Attention 2017: Currently the EU is working on a general regulation of firearms that will further restrict EU gun / gunpart trade. As the EU regulation for demilled guns from 2016, this new regulation will also have massiv effects on our product range. It will:

- Make gun receivers main gun parts. Currently receivers are free parts in Germany.
- Make triggers/grips of automatical guns to main gun parts. Currently triggers/grips of full auto long guns are free parts in Germany.
- Will forbid the trade of magazines of pistols with more than 20 rounds + of long guns with more than 10 rounds.
- Will forbid the trade of all magazines of the coming category A, e.g. assault rifles like AK47, M16.

So right now we probably have the last month of the parts mentioned above."
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Kungfugerbil

#8 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Daryll wrote:Edit 2, after getting this call, i emailed Mcavoys asking about their stock...just got this back:
"If it is the Umarex you require we are currently unable to source these. We believe this is true of the whole of the UK."
Might be worth double checking that they are talking about the Walther .22LR H&K MP5 as there is also a Umarex MP5 airgun that magazines are available for :)

I saw some somewhere but they were loopy money...now I see why!
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by bnz41 »

Went to an Arms and Military fair at Chatham on Sunday to buy some extra mags for a AK & Fal.

Was surprised to see several stalls had mags but they had been cut with a slot both sides at the top of the mag. I asked the trader why he explained that due to new EU regulations any rifle going to UK proof with a 10 & 20+ round mag in it had to have the mag cut, so he had extra cut so that anyone buying a rifle like a AK and wanted extra mags he had pre cut ones available. The rifles now have a bar through the receiver where the mag fits hence why the mags are cut to fit around the bar.

He only had 2 non cut ones for sale and were rusty.

The 10 round mags were in N04's & SMLE rifles and were cut.

Just ordered several non cut Fal ones from another trader.
Daryll

#10 Post by Daryll »

Yes Gerbil, on both the Northern Optics and McAvoys sites they were listed as the "HK MP5 .22lr 25rnd magazine", so no confusion.

And yes, £40 per mag was the cheapest price I could find in the UK... they're $25 or less in the US..

(...and in the US someone makes a 50 rnd drum too.. :D)