My P1853 Enfield - Range pics

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

My P1853 Enfield - Range pics

#1 Post by Tower75 »

Hi Guys.

New member here - how's everyone? I've already said hello in the "New Member" thread. Thought I'd recce the place out.

Thought I'd join the family by posting my adventures with my Enfield rifle-musket.

I got my hands on an original P1853 Enfield rifle-musket around 4 years ago. To be honest I always had trouble with it from the start. Commercial "minnie" balls were too big for it, the bore mics out at about .565-ish, not the standard .577 or any of the variances it could be. Now, because I'm an awkward sod, I thought I would try loading this rifle "the proper way". The P1853 + Enfields were loading paper-patched, unlike the American ones that fired a naked bullet.

I got my hands on the designs for the original cartridges used and ordered a customer mould that cast a straight-sided Pritchet bullet. I made up some cartridges and took it down the range Sunday just gone to trial it at 300 yards.

Well, every shot caused the target-puller to drop the target to inspect the board - so the rounds were actually getting there for a start - that's good. The calls that came back were "just left of the board" or "just right" so I wasn't missing by much. A few even HIT the target.

Granted - not MoA shooting at all - but with an untried bullet, untried paper-patch and a 160 year old front-stuffer that is essentially lobbing a lump of lead down-range, I think I'm onto a good starting point. It's been a long and boring road just to get this far. Hopefully I can tweek the cartridge some more and tighten up the shots.

Here some pics:

The girl; My original P1853. Lock stamped 1856
IMG20110731_007_edit.jpg
300 yards always looks farther away when you're being the barrel - horrible sight picture.
IMG20110731_008_edit.jpg
Proof I can hit the board... just. The spotting disc in just visible at 1 o'clock
IMG20110731_004_edit.jpg
IMG20110731_004_edit.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
Tower75

Re: My P1853 Enfield - Range pics

#2 Post by Tower75 »

Two more.

The cartridge. The inner tube holding the powder is made of brown parcel paper, and the outer tube and patch are made from fish 'n' chip shop paper :good: . Lube is tallow and bee's wax
IMG20110731_005_edit.jpg
I dug one of the slugs out of the sand - it's expanded nicely and mushroomed quite a bit.
IMG20110731_001_edit.jpg
Regards
T
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good looking rifle and great shooting if you were on the frame, it going up and down was probably the marker checking to see you hadn’t taken the frame out!) :good:

I was marking a frame one Sunday morning when the right hand upright exploded in a mass of splinters sending me diving for cover, two further shots and he had all but shot the frame in half and had me trying to surrender over the radio. Scary stuff.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Tower75

#4 Post by Tower75 »

ovenpaa wrote:Good looking rifle and great shooting if you were on the frame, it going up and down was probably the marker checking to see you hadn’t taken the frame out!) :good:

I was marking a frame one Sunday morning when the right hand upright exploded in a mass of splinters sending me diving for cover, two further shots and he had all but shot the frame in half and had me trying to surrender over the radio. Scary stuff.
:lol: :lol:

Thanks. Yes, I agree with you. When working the butts, it's quite scary being under fire from black powder. You don't hear the bang, just a low whistling noise then a huge "whhuuummpp!" and an explosion of sand :shock:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Who made the mould for you?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Tower75

#6 Post by Tower75 »

dromia wrote:Who made the mould for you?
Ooo, erm. bugger. I can't remember now. I ordered it about 4 years ago, just never got round to using it until now. I got the name from a friend who had one of his moulds before and spoke highy of them. I believe the chap lives in Lemmington Spa.

Sorry, not much help I know.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Next time you have the mould out have a look and see what markings if any are on it.

Is it aluminium, Iron or brass?

Is the plug captive?

My Pritchett was made by Lee on an order from a chap in Scandanavia, it is one of their better moulds their single cavity HB moulds do tend to better than their usual pigs in a poke.

Mine drops an honest 0.568" with roof flashing

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#8 Post by dromia »

BTW what tallow are you using?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#9 Post by dromia »

Hey Tower, could you reply please, I'm interested in what you have.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Tower75

#10 Post by Tower75 »

dromia wrote:Hey Tower, could you reply please, I'm interested in what you have.
I was gunna. I'm trying to find out what type it is for you. A friend of mine gave me a huge block of bee's wax and a tub of tallow years ago. I've asked him what type it is - just waiting for a reply.

I can get a pic of the mould's markings if you want, as well?