No4 MkII Butt Plate

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

No4 MkII Butt Plate

#1 Post by Mike357 »

I'm after an original butt plate for a No4 MkII? Is it brass with space for oil bottle/pull through?

Anybody help?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Dougan

Re: No4 MkII Butt Plate

#2 Post by Dougan »

Mike357 wrote:I'm after an original butt plate for a No4 MkII? Is it brass with space for oil bottle/pull through?

Anybody help?
Short answer: Yes.

According to 'British Enfield Rifles Volume 2' (Charles R. Stratton) - The buttplate was the same shape for all No.4s, with the only variation being the material it was made from...some were made from cast alloy (grey in colour), and some from steel (oil blackened) ...but the vast majority were made from cast brass.

However the underside of the butt plate (where it attaches to the rifle) is slightly different on the SMLE version - so if you're buy from ebay, make sure it's for a No.4....

Hope this helps :)

Btw: I can recommend the book (also Volume 1, which covers SMLEs) - they cover all the types, variations, parts, markings and history of Enfields :good: