Bisley Small-Bore meet - August - Weekend (full-bore)

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Bisley Small-Bore meet - August - Weekend (full-bore)

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

So I spent the weekend going to Bisley and seeing what goes on at the small-bore meetings.

Got very drunk on whiskey and Cider at the artist before heading to the L&M just before cvlosing on friday night and threw my pint all over the guys surrounding me (oops!) and trampled back to the caravan to fall flat out.

woke up hungover at 6:30 and proceeded to get ready for the day:

after bacon and egg sandwich headed over to short siberia in time for 10 o clock to go through some load development on short siberia (200x) - unfortunately we forgot to take a camera to document the results....

We did however mark down the results on a piece of paper and as a crude shot record.

they looked like this:

Mo's

Mine

unfortunately I only realised that my boing would serve to photograh the groups by mo's last effort... DOH!

Mo's best groups we're load 4 and load 7 (minus the flyer) at just over 1 MOA and (discounting the flyer which I think was pulled) just under 0.5 MOA.

I'm not sure exactly how far spread groups 2, 5 and 8 were on my loads, but Mo did relay that group 10 was keyholed and 1" apart giving me what i wanted from my load at a 0.5 MOA or less.

I wish we were a bit more organised (is this always the way?) so i could see the true group size of what I shot, but keyholing at 200 yards for me was a great feeling... (please bear in mind we were not adjusting for wind or elevation - atleast not enough to get us in the V-bull every time (we probably should have done, but what we did served our purpose).

Later in the afternoon, after packing up and heading back to camp we went over to the smallbore meet on centuary range and saw how that worked..

aside from wanting to spend all my money in the trade tent (which i refrained) I saw how the ticketing system works (or rather doesnt very well), and how to sign in for the events - I know for next year, so maybe I'll book the week off and shot the week aggregate?

All in all a fun weekend and fairly productive on the old load development side of things.

The load I used for my keyholing if anyone was interested was as follows:

46.8gr Varget
Federal Primer
and OAL of 2.875" - a jump of roughly .045"
with Sierra Palma Match, Match King 2156's.

They worked very well and I can't wait to get them out to 300x and 600x at my club competition in a few weeks!

(I also bumped into a fellow FB-UK Member who did introduce himself, but I didn't quite catch your name, and was a little too embarressed to ask :oops: - please make yourself known so I know for future dude! :) - Musta spotted the ink!)
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Bisley Small-Bore meet - August - Weekend (full-bore)

#2 Post by Mike357 »

I'm furthered is an App that allows you to photograph your groups and it works out your MOA?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Fellow FB'er...my guess would be 20series, Alan.

I do think he mumbled something about attending the small bore comp.
TattooedGun

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

christel wrote:Fellow FB'er...my guess would be 20series, Alan.

I do think he mumbled something about attending the small bore comp.
yep, that sounds about right, he introduced himself as Alan, and I didn't know 20series was his screenname hence the confusion!
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

Yes it was me, it's always nice to put names and faces together!!

I twigged who you were as i tought Mo on her club instructors course

i'm here trying to maintain my "A class" ranking.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
TattooedGun

#6 Post by TattooedGun »

Yeah Mo did mention that you taught her.

A-Class - good man!

I'm just starting - and am currently shooting my first season at 50m-100y : its not going great if I'm honest, but I'm still learning the wind!

I left it a bit too late to enter this year, would'a doubled my weekend aggregate cost from £40 to £80 just because of late fee's as i forgot to enter...

I'm down for the week next year though!
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mike357 wrote:I'm furthered is an App that allows you to photograph your groups and it works out your MOA?
Yes there is an app that does this, the name evades me right now, I will have a think about it. I have a feeling Dangermouse uses it so he may be able to give us the name.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#8 Post by Steve E »

If you are shooting at 100 or 200 yds, use 1'' graph paper as a backer to your aiming mark and you have a very easy way of determining you MOA. Why make things complicated with all this 'app' malarky.

Steve
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I must admit if I need to know group sizes I use a steel rule which gives close enough for my needs, if I want to keep the information I use the Shoot NC type stick on targets, handy as the POI of clearly marked with a yellow ring around the hole so visible at 100 yards with a low magnification 'scope.

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun

#10 Post by TattooedGun »

all this relies far too heavily on forethought!

haha, I'm pretty happy with my load now and hopefully next time we can hire a 300-600 or even 900x firing point and really see what its made of!