The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:30 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:42 pm
Posts: 426
Location: South Lanarkshire, Scotland
I am looking for a bit of clarification, last night one of the boys at the gun club was saying his son is doing training to become a police officer (Scotland)
One of the subjects that were covered was firearms, He told his dad that if you are caught with a muzzle break without a valid firearms certificate you are breaking the law, as muzzle breaks can be bought online I find that statement very strange.
Sam

_________________
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 1712

shotgun sam wrote:
He told his dad that if you are caught with a muzzle break without a valid firearms certificate you are breaking the law

He is correct.

If you were in posession of a muzzle break you would be breaking laws.

Laws of physics; you can't posess something that doesn't exist.

..

_________________
Image
Brand Ambassador.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm
Posts: 2126
Location: Reading West Berks
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC
shotgun sam wrote:
I am looking for a bit of clarification, last night one of the boys at the gun club was saying his son is doing training to become a police officer (Scotland)
One of the subjects that were covered was firearms, He told his dad that if you are caught with a muzzle break without a valid firearms certificate you are breaking the law, as muzzle breaks can be bought online I find that statement very strange.
Sam
he is probably referring to a flash hider not a muzzle brake, although they look almost identical and serve similar purposes, the flash hider is specifically mentioned in the Laws, in fact here is a link mentioning a discussion on this very site cheers


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:39 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:01 pm
Posts: 6492
Location: Co. Durham
Home club or Range: N.E. P.S.G., Mayfair Shooting Centre, 3 Counties Sporting Club, Galloway Small Arms Club and various IPSC clubs around the country
Oh dear god, not this again wallhead

_________________
Mark
DVC


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:23 pm
Posts: 2378
Location: Manchester
Image

lol

_________________
Bambam® has always done his own stunts.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:00 am
Posts: 289
Location: London
A flash hider is regulated, same as a moderator.
A muzzle brake or a compensator is not.

_________________
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:00 am
Posts: 289
Location: London
For the purposes of clarity, I would play it safe and not purchase a muzzle device which is specifically advertised as a being a flash hider.
A muzzle brake or compensator may have the exact same architecture as a flash hider, but since it is sold as a brake and you install it as a brake and are proud of your new brake, you avoid unnecessary scrutiny...

_________________
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 am
Posts: 1990
If I sell the flash hider off my AR as a muzzle brake then its OK? :D


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter 2019
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 5899
Location: West of the Volga
Home club or Range: Donguzsky Range, Orenburg Oblast
Might be of interest.......

https://gundigest.com/article/muzzle-br ... difference

_________________
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Muzzle Breaks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:47 pm 
Offline
Past Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:04 am
Posts: 640
Location: North West
Home club or Range: Rossendale Fusiliers and Diggle Range
kennyc wrote:
shotgun sam wrote:
I am looking for a bit of clarification, last night one of the boys at the gun club was saying his son is doing training to become a police officer (Scotland)
One of the subjects that were covered was firearms, He told his dad that if you are caught with a muzzle break without a valid firearms certificate you are breaking the law, as muzzle breaks can be bought online I find that statement very strange.
Sam
he is probably referring to a flash hider not a muzzle brake, although they look almost identical and serve similar purposes, the flash hider is specifically mentioned in the Laws, in fact here is a link mentioning a discussion on this very site cheers


That was my understanding too, since muzzle brakes are not listed on your FAC unlike a moderator which is listed and therefore controlled.

Also, if an item is listed on your FAC then it must be within your safe when not in use, unlike say a magazine.

_________________
Regards,

Geek

If you make everything idiot proof, evolution will just make a better idiot!

AI AT (.308), Ruger Precision Rifle (6.5CM), 10/22 and American Rimfire (.22LR), Steyr Aug, Marlin underlever .38/.357, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ralph and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group