Parker Hale TX1200 Stock

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Parker Hale TX1200 Stock

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi All

I am on the verge of buying a cheap Parker Hale TX1200 .308 for prone target shooting. My only concern is that it won't be long before I will want to change the stock for something more adjustable. Does anyone know of a good target stock that will fit the PH action? I love the HPS stock and lots of actions can be used with it but it doesn't seem to fit PH actions.
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Parker Hale TX1200 Stock

#2 Post by Pete »

The PH TX1200 sports a Mauser action, possibly Spanish, AFAIK. (We had one with a Brindles trigger some years ago.....a cracking rifle)

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

Pete wrote:The PH TX1200 sports a Mauser action, possibly Spanish, AFAIK. (We had one with a Brindles trigger some years ago.....a cracking rifle)

Pete
Thanks Pete that's good to know. It seems a lot of rifles have Mauser actions.... Any recommendations on a stock for it?
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by Pete »

Ours had it's original stock which I made to fit with butt spacers. We fired it MR style with a hand rest. Presumably you want pure TR with a jacket and sling?
I remember packing the magazine cut out with metal filled epoxy to convert it to single-shot, which worked very well.
Depending on your budget (and how "handy" you are), it should be possible to adapt a Musgrave-ready stock to fit.
(Musgrave is a South African "improved" Mauser action. I have one in 6BR which I shoe-horned into an old Anschutz Match 54 small-bore stock......not a job for the faint-hearted, but it works really well and it's the last rifle I'd sell.)
If you get a blank stock, expect to pay around 250-350 quid to get your action fitted.
Give Matt at HPS a call, he might be able to help, or David at Crispin Engineering (He fitted a Savage action to a Form blank for us, made a cracking job of it)

Finally, be prepared for someone to say "It's not really worth it for such an old action".................that's your decision.

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

Pete wrote:Ours had it's original stock which I made to fit with butt spacers. We fired it MR style with a hand rest. Presumably you want pure TR with a jacket and sling?
I remember packing the magazine cut out with metal filled epoxy to convert it to single-shot, which worked very well.
Depending on your budget (and how "handy" you are), it should be possible to adapt a Musgrave-ready stock to fit.
(Musgrave is a South African "improved" Mauser action. I have one in 6BR which I shoe-horned into an old Anschutz Match 54 small-bore stock......not a job for the faint-hearted, but it works really well and it's the last rifle I'd sell.)
If you get a blank stock, expect to pay around 250-350 quid to get your action fitted.
Give Matt at HPS a call, he might be able to help, or David at Crispin Engineering (He fitted a Savage action to a Form blank for us, made a cracking job of it)

Finally, be prepared for someone to say "It's not really worth it for such an old action".................that's your decision.

Pete
That's right Pete, proper TR ;)

I know of Musgrave as I have been looking at the offerings of Fultons of Bisley and that is 90% of what they stock.... That is option 2. The ones at Fultons are £1-1.5k in an ok stock.
I can get a decent PH for around £450-500. I was thinking if I can get a really good stock for around a grand then for the same money as the Fultons ones I have a much nicer handling rifle. Knowing that they are a very similar action then probably better to spend the money on a newer action from Fultons and upgrade the stock somewhere down the line. It will (in theory) last a bit longer then!
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by Pete »

For your budget of 1-1.5K, there are some better options that the PH.............Musgraves certainly, and Swing are also excellent for TR.
http://www.helstongunsmiths.com/default.asp?ID=463 You can easily get the stock modified to give an adjustable cheekpiece and buttpad.

Pete
Pippin89

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

Pete wrote:For your budget of 1-1.5K, there are some better options that the PH.............Musgraves certainly, and Swing are also excellent for TR.
http://www.helstongunsmiths.com/default.asp?ID=463 You can easily get the stock modified to give an adjustable cheekpiece and buttpad.

Pete
Thanks Pete! You have been a great help.
waterford103
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#8 Post by waterford103 »

Look at Boyds stocks in the USA , I just got a stock from the to fit my Parker Hale 1200 , I think they do a fully adjustable stock which would suit TR , there is an English importer , don't know , I bought mine direct.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Pippin89

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

waterford103 wrote:Look at Boyds stocks in the USA , I just got a stock from the to fit my Parker Hale 1200 , I think they do a fully adjustable stock which would suit TR , there is an English importer , don't know , I bought mine direct.
I have looked at them already. They had a suitable stock all apart from a handstop rail. It is another option to get one of those and add it myself?
artiglio

#10 Post by artiglio »

Or take a look at this

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/a ... &saletype=

If you’ve got a slot on your ticket , may be worth a day off to take a look