Home ranges.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
walesdave

Home ranges.....

#1 Post by walesdave »

Hi All

Inspired by the photo of '1066's garden air pistol range on another thread I thought I'd share my set-up. :wales:

Target is pinned to a cardboard box filled with multiple sheets of thick cardboard, backed by a LOCKED wooden gate.

Other side of the fence forward on the left is an electrical sub-station, neighbors behind the fence by the bench rest (aka recycling bin) have been asked, over the fence while maintaining 'social distance' if they minded me shooting, and they are fine with it.

Air pistol is an Umarex Browning Buck Mark URX, backstop is an Amazon delivery box :D

Anyone else want to share? :good:
Garden range.jpg
Plumose
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

Re: Home ranges.....

#2 Post by Plumose »

If I need a bigger back stop than a cardboard box, what would people suggest (of things I am likely to have lying around)?

A few years ago I picked up a cheap single stroke pneumatic pistol, and never got around to taking it to the rage, and having never done any pistol shooting I feel I might be a little less accurate than I might otherwise be.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Plumose

#3 Post by Plumose »

Forgot to say I have a metal pellet trap for the targets to go in, I just want to make sure if I do miss I don't have any pellets leave my property (to keep legal), or go through the fence to hit the kids in the next garden (conscience).
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

We have a 6 yard 'range' in the workshop. A pellet catcher with chrono in front for test purposes, the backstop being a 15" thick wall and solid chalk behind it for a few miles. Above that a Bell Target at the regulation height and the firing point marked on the floor.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

I will be building something similar too, running down the side of my shed/work shop. 25m and 40m should be fine especially as I now have up to 12 weeks here ... following a call with my GP/surgery today. Had promised one for my Grandson, so now I will have time.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
walesdave

#6 Post by walesdave »

Plumose....if you want a bit more of a backstop try hanging up some old carpet behind your pellet trap, or a bag of compost. Anything that will absorb the pellet rather than bounce it back. FYI: wood isn't a great backstop on its' own as pellets can bounce back - in my casethe pellets lose all energy going through the layers of cardboard and I've yetto have one come out the back of the box.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#7 Post by kennyc »

funnily enough, after the boredom of last week I was driven to sort out the garage, and found my old Webley Tempest, result! I use the whole house as a backstop, and mount shoot'n'see targets onto a cardboard box filled with cardboard. Great fun and practice for the October Swiss meeting (should it go ahead )
20200329_153754 (Small).jpg
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

what sort of backstop to stop a .22rf? asking for a friend
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Plumose

#9 Post by Plumose »

Thanks walesdave, I might manage to find a bit of carpet, will have to have a look this weekend (as I am still working normal hours, just from home).
davidh195
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by davidh195 »

Concrete slab for a backstop works for me, tried it after I read somewhere it absorbs all the energy.

A local group put carpet over wood and had pellets bouncing back.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......