AR15 Crossbow

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dave 101

AR15 Crossbow

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

If your a fan of the black rifle you can now get the black crossbow , with an AR15 lower you can convert it to a crossbow .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nVSfv0Rlg

Dave
Dangermouse

Re: AR15 Crossbow

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

100 Yard average Joe test

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQthc4j ... re=related[/youtube]

http://outdoorhobbies.co.uk/pse-tac-15i ... 1369-p.asp
First hit on search engine shows the above company selling the unit with the non AR lower for £1299.00

Not sure what I would use one for but if they banned rifles tomorrow I could see myself getting one and enjoying competitions with it,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Chuck

#3 Post by Chuck »

And we can shoot these where? I got a Barnet XBOW, never use it...seriously powerful.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I remember trying a crossbow out years ago, the bolt flight was deceptively slow and we could not get the bolt out of the telegraph pole afterwards.. I would hate to get in the way of one.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

I'd love a decent crossbow, but as stated, unless you have oodles of private land at your disposal (and if you do, why bother with a crossbow when you can play with powder burning firearms ;) ), where would you use one?
Dave 101

#6 Post by Dave 101 »

If your in the US you can use them for hunting game such as deer , I noticed they arent using a bolt but arrows . Could you imagine turning up at the local archery club with one over here . :55:
Many gun clubs offer other facilities these days archery being one of them , just imagine using the AR then going to the next range and converting it to a crossbow .

Dave
Tower75

#7 Post by Tower75 »

Do you need a licence for a cross-bow over here? I must admit, I've never been "into" arrows, but I wouldn't mind a cross-bow - it'll have to be a proper wood-stock, lever-fired, winch-loaded one, though. There's too much black plastic around these days :cool2: ;)

But, yes - again, where can you use it?
Many gun clubs offer other facilities these days archery being one of them , just imagine using the AR then going to the next range and converting it to a crossbow .
I *think* there was talk of using the airgun field as an archery range at one point. Yeah, right :roll:
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Dave 101

#8 Post by Dave 101 »

Sports Essex list 24 archery clubs , I know there is one in Chelmsford .
I did archery at school , I used a tubular steel bow till one day it snapped about 4" above the grip , I think that was a brown trouser moment .

Dave
Dangermouse

#9 Post by Dangermouse »

The law is at this time reasonably relaxed around crossbows as long as you are over 19 years of age. The only other obvious law is that you are not allowed to hunt with them.

My wife and I regularly have a go at Archery when on holiday and I could see it as a sport that I would take up should shooting stop. It would certainly be a darn sight cheaper!

What surprised me was the number of archery clubs, many more than I imagined. On reading their web sites I was also surprised to read that once a member you could use the facilities when ever you wanted 24/7.
Some clubs cater for crossbow and as some of you will have observed, there appears to be a hunting/practical course in the woods on the drive down to short Siberia.

No idea what the danger area is for one of the more powerful bows/cross bows, but unfortunately it is a lot more than most of our back gardens!

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Steve

#10 Post by Steve »

When we were teenagers (long time ago!) a friend had a crossbow and we used to shoot it on his grandads land.I fired it at a willow tree and the damn bolt embedded itself in the trunk.That was over 25 years ago and i bet the bolt is still there now-albeit not visible because the tree would have grown around it!
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda