Building a range at home (outdoors) to appease the FLO!

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

M99

Building a range at home (outdoors) to appease the FLO!

#1 Post by M99 »

Guys n Gals

As of yet my FLO is not totally convinced - but is not totally against the idea, yet he can't come up with a set of "rules" that he would be happy with!

I want to make use of some of my land - the bit in question would allow a 100m range with eventually a covered firing point :roll: (I am getting older)

The area I hope/plan to put it in will come to an end at what is currently a breeze block wall on 2 sides holding back a few hundred tonne on soil -the walls are both 15ft high (Sitting on top of the wall and set back I have a building - not residential) but given the angle, even if a round were to go over the top (and that would take some doing, but I need to cover all bases) it would not strike the building - for 2109 yards behind my property is nothing but fields until you hit a b road.

So my question to you good folk is how best to approach "filling" the backstop and the construction of the right hand side wall?

Be nice to be able to zero and shoot at home, even if only at 100m or less.

He has said no way I'll get the .308 at home, but maybe the .223 - I already have the .22lr on my ground.

Mike
Robin128

Re: Building a range at home (outdoors) to appease the FLO!

#2 Post by Robin128 »

Will this range be open to other FAC holders or is it merely for personal use?

Do you have an open FAC?

:-P
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

The NSRA have booklets that give the correct info regarding range construction, I think they cost about £20.

It might help you out.

http://www.nsra.co.uk/Shop2/Shop_html/Books.htm

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Chris Webb (Heathers husband) at the NRA would be my first point of contact. He is a great chap as well and is well versed in the construction of new ranges and the safety aspects of existing ranges. I cannot think of a more suitable person :goodjob:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Steve

#6 Post by Steve »

I think you really need to consult the people who design shooting ranges because its a minefield of rules!

Our range for example dates back to 1942 as it was a WW2 airbase and the brick wall at back of bullet trap is an eye watering 4ft thick plus it has atleast 10ft of sand infront of that to absorb the rounds.It has a sloped soil embankment infront at a lower level to the sand incase of any accidental discharges and also has a roof covering the bullet trap preventing any richochets going skywards.The further back you go to shoot the higher the wall has to become so do bear that in mind.I must add though our range dont have a calibre restriction so you might be able to omit some of this for 223.
M99

#7 Post by M99 »

Cheers Gents

It will be solely for private (mine) usage. No different than shooting on your own land down the woods - except it is on my land and I want it safe! (except my "land" in 5 acres)

I am not building a full blown military range!

Mike
Robin128

#8 Post by Robin128 »

Sooner you get an open cert the better...can't you get the 308win for deer? Do you have DSC1 and somewhere to stalk?

What length range and how many positions?

Have you considered baffles?

I'm pretty sure if it's for your own use you will not need to go thru a range certification process...good contact from ovenpaa!
M99

#9 Post by M99 »

Robin128 wrote:Sooner you get an open cert the better...can't you get the 308win for deer? Do you have DSC1 and somewhere to stalk?

What length range and how many positions?

Have you considered baffles?

I'm pretty sure if it's for your own use you will not need to go thru a range certification process...good contact from ovenpaa!
Ive got the .308 for Bambi but they don't want me shooting it at home - apparently just under 5 acres is too small :twisted:

I am trying to appease them so I can zero/target use my .223 at home really - only have to walk down the field then!

He is coming round for a brew tomorrow - so we will have a chat (FLO)

Mike
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »