Vinnie Jones and CPR

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Christel
Site Admin

Vinnie Jones and CPR

#1 Post by Christel »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health-new ... -23677570/

Just spotted the headline for this article, very topical, Ovenpaa and I are doing a course end of January.

:grin:
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Vinnie Jones and CPR

#2 Post by bobbob »

I once stood next to Vinnie Jones on the train at Gatwick airport. Big scary looking chap but I hear he is devoted to his wife and looked after her after she had a heart transplant. Maybe that is why he is involved in this.

I saw the video on TV this morning. Hopefully it is something that will stay in peoples minds.

I learnt CPR when I was about 10 and thankfully have nerer needed to use it.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

I have passed two first aid courses but what one does not use one forgets...so time for a refresher...
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by bobbob »

christel wrote:I have passed two first aid courses but what one does not use one forgets...so time for a refresher...
Most of it is basic common sense. I am a work first aider so I am supposed to do a two day refresher course every three years. It still surprises me though that when I have attended the refresher course, there are still people who don't know how to treat a nosebleed, still don't understand that as a company first aider you can't give out headache tablets or have potions and lotions in your first aid kit.

I missed my last course as I am still off sick so will have to do the full four day course so it will be interesting to see what is taught in CPR.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

My first aid in the workplace expired a few weeks ago, I have done it a few times and about the only thing that does change is the CPR however any attempt is a good attempt as far as I am concerned.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#6 Post by meles meles »

Oh technology has moved on in the field of CPR: its recommended you always carry a set of jump leads and a spare battery around nowadays to get things restarted...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Dangermouse

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

Another good beat is
"Another one bites the dust"
But is not very PC when relatives may be around,

DM
Dougan

#8 Post by Dougan »

I saw a clip of the ad this morning, and have just watched the full vid - And I have to say I don't like it....I know it has to be short but there are some things that should be explained...

Firstly, that it is highly unlikely that CPR will restart the heart on it's own - the purpose is to keep oxygen circulating around the body until the person can be defibrillated (usually by shock). If you don't also give breaths (as they are suggesting), then while you will be circulating the blood around, it won't be taking on new oxygen (or less than it needs), so after 4/6 minutes there may not be much point.

Secondly, that there are many reasons why someone may collapse - so care needs to be taken to make sure that the person really is having a heart attack...if someone has a faint pulse, and you start compressions on them, you'll probably actually stop their heart...

I can understand why the BHF etc. are trying to make people less afraid, and in some circumstances CPR could help (even done badly) - but I think these things are better taught propperly in classes...and not in a 30 second advert to anyone watching TV....I can just see some well meaning 'do gooder' jumping on someone who's just having a seizure, and giving them a few broken ribs :shock:
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Dougan, I agree with what you are saying however when a big majority of the public is afraid of giving mouth to mouth for fear of transmittable deceases then surely this is better than nothing.

I think the clip has been made to make people aware and hopefully with awareness comes the interest to go and take part in a class somewhere.
Dangermouse

#10 Post by Dangermouse »

My memory is a little fuzzy, but did I not hear that since the USA started mass education of CPR their figures for survival have increased dramatically. I wonder if this campaign is trying to get similar results.

DM