Where the match and wheel locks at?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

Where the match and wheel locks at?

#1 Post by Tower75 »

In the UK, there are quite a few muzzle-loaders, and I've seen quite a few of the toys that are available to use, flintlocks, both military and hunting, as well as percussion -

But I've always wondered, why don't you see any matchlock or wheel lock muzzle loaders?

In the States there seems to be loads of them, perhaps because a muzzle loaders aren't, legally, recognised as firearms, and people just built them from kits, maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyway, anyone got any idea? I've only ever seen two, and fired one matchlock in my time - where are the rest hiding. I'd love a wheel lock pistol :grin:
Dave 101

Re: Where the match and wheel locks at?

#2 Post by Dave 101 »

The only ones I have ever seen are in the hands of reenacters such as the sealed knot , they are owned on a SGC as they are smooth bore , but never seen one on the firing range actually firing at targets .

Dave
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Possibly because the match lock is very crude and for the enthusiasts only and the wheel lock is a work of art and costly to reproduce versus say a flint lock which just leaves the originals and an original wheel lock is going to be locked away in a museum or private collection the majority of the time.

Just my view......
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by bobbob »

Dave 101 wrote:The only ones I have ever seen are in the hands of reenacters such as the sealed knot , they are owned on a SGC as they are smooth bore , but never seen one on the firing range actually firing at targets .

Dave
I still have my matchlock musket from my SK days, proofed for shot. Back in the 80's a chap organised for some of us to go to a range, somewhere in Colchester I think and we shot at targets. I actually managed to hit the piece of wood the target was on. I used someones flintlock for that though.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Doz

#5 Post by Doz »

Dave 101 wrote:The only ones I have ever seen are in the hands of reenacters such as the sealed knot , they are owned on a SGC as they are smooth bore , but never seen one on the firing range actually firing at targets .
MLAGB shoot matchlock pistol... smile2
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#6 Post by ResearchPress »

MLAGB shoot matchlock musket as well as matchlock pistol and there are also international competitions for these. Muskets are fired at 50m, with competitions for standing and kneeling. Pistols are fired at 25m.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
dave_303

#7 Post by dave_303 »

Derbyshire arms (they have easily googled site) they supply most of the SK and ECWS regiments with matchlock muskets and they now supply wheellocks