Guns of the American civil war

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

wild44blackhawkbill

Guns of the American civil war

#1 Post by wild44blackhawkbill »

the first thing that attracted me to muzzleloading was the 1860 colt army revolver , from there i became a civil war and black powder history buff , so share your knowledge and favorites , i will start off with my favorite ??? , uh , no , not the 1860 army ,

it is the C.S.A Whitworth sharp shooter rifle ..

this was probably the most feared and infamous rifle of the war ,except for the Henry Repeater 44 rimfire , but we will get to the Henry later , now for the Whitworth , most of you are probably more familiar with it than i am , but here is what i know , designed by Whitworth , made in England ,bought privately by the C.S.A for the sharpshooter regiment , a long range target rifle with a polygonal bore that shot a special 45 cal , 450 to 500 grain hexagonal bullet at extreme distances with great precision , maximum effective range 1500 meters , velocity 2,000 plus FPS, i don't know what the standard charge was , but i have read accounts of the sharpshooters using 150 to 200 grains of 2 fg powder , locked down on a machine rest the rifle was capable of 1 and a half inch groups at 400 meters , the bullet could be shot at very high velocity because there was no rifling in the bore to strip , they came in a boxed set with all the tools and i am pretty sure they could be ordered with a optional full length 2 or 3 power scope , i have seen original drawings of the civil war where the artist portrayed the rifle as having a full length brass scope , sharpshooters were sent out with regular infantry to provide cover fire and support , and they were also sent on special undercover operations to just blatantly assassinate persons of high command within the Union army , they would disassemble the rifle , hide it in a gunny sack or something similar , change out of their uniform into civilian clothes , make their way across enemy lines , eliminate the target and escape , this was highly dangerous work because any soldier that was caught out of uniform was immediately executed , it has even been said that at one such battle President lincoln commanded the troops personally and a Reb sharpshooter took a shot at him at 1,000 plus yards and missed and hit the Presidents hat, a second shot rang out as William Seward knocked the president to the ground , the Whitworth is probably the first sniper rifle , as a union general coined the saying ;
{ those Darn Reb Snipers with those Darn Reb Sniper rifles } after having to promote Sargent's to replace all the officers the sharpshooters shot down at one battle,
i might add i think those English make one fine rifle ..
Watcher

Re: Guns of the American civil war

#2 Post by Watcher »

I always fancied one of the Parker Hale Whitworth repros but could never afford it. Interesting to know whether the bullets were pure lead. If they were I wonder that they didn't shred given the spinning forces in the rifling.
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

Re: Guns of the American civil war

#3 Post by ResearchPress »

The top image which is nothing like the Whitworths used in the Civil War (and appears to be put together from images on my web site) and is a full match rifle for target shooting. See the following for a Civil War War Sniper Rifle.

Bullet weight would be more like 530 grains and muzzle velocity appears optimistic; 1300fps would I think be more realistic. Whitworth loading instructions state 70 grain charges, but in reports I have for the Queen's Prize rifle trials of 1863, 85 grains were stated as used at 500 & 1000 yards. I'd be interested to have references to the accounts you refer to of sharpshooters using 150 to 200 grains of 2 fg powder. Seems unnecessary to me (Metford only used 150 grains in his 2000 yard .50 cal. muzzle loader with a 700 grain bullet). I am always keen to find contemporary documentation of Whitworth rifle use.

Hardened paper patched mechanically fitting bullets were used, but also cylindrical lead bullets were popular and shot well. Whitworth loading notes "the cylindrical form of projectile is the best for general use." Two of the best Whitworth shooters I know use a cylindrical hollow based paper patched bullet.

You note: "locked down on a machine rest the rifle was capable of 1 and a half inch groups at 400 meters". Where did you find this information? In the published Army Rifles report detailing trials in 1862 the Mean Radial Deviation for the Whitworth at 300 yards was around 3.9 inches and at 500 yards 7.4 inches. Note this is RADIAL, so you're looking at groups in excess of 8 inches at 300yds and 15 inches at 500 yards. You're not perhaps confusing the opening shot for the NRA(GB) Rifle Meeting fired by Queen Victoria at Wimbledon in 1860 which struck the 400yd target approx. 1.25 inches from centre?

The Whitworth rifles insofar as I am aware when fitted with a scope used the side mounted Davidson scope. This was not a full length. Side mounting was necessary to get the required elevation for long range.

Interesting comments about "they would disassemble the rifle". What would the advantage be? The Whitworth rifles to the US had full length stocks, so there wouldn't be any reduction in overall length.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history