Shooting all weekend

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Shooting all weekend

#1 Post by Mike357 »

Saturday was a trip out with the No4 Mk2 to Barry Buddon. I had loaded some rounds with 41gns of N140 and they worked quite well last time out at 100yds but didn't appear consistent or produce small enough groups. I loaded some more for Saturday and dropped to 39gns of N140. At 200 yds they were doing well, grouping well with the sights set a little over 200 yds. However, back at 400 they were dropping into the mantlet requiring the sights to be wound up to 400yds. At 600yds, sights were set at 800yds with only 2 of my remaining rounds hitting the target. Was 39gns really do little powder to push the 180gn bullets fast enough hence the drop? Weather was great however.

At 200 yds

Back at 600yds

Sunday was a trip up to Aberdeen Full Bore Gun Club where I met up with CormieAckImp, Lyons, Flanker & Mr Smith for a little Gallery Rifle fun. Wasn't a great day as my Marlin jammed up, twice! First round would come half out of the magazine and then jam as the lifter started to rise. Required the bolt to come out to clear, then it did it again so I withdrew :bad: 22 was a little better, scores weren't great but I enjoy shooting it a lot more now. However, the little Volquartsen devil has taken up residence on my shoulder and is suggesting a shorter carbon fibre wrapped barrel :o Falling plates were great fun and my trash talk after posting what I thought was a good time only served to give me grief when Lyons beat it!

Great weekend. :P :P
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
artiglio

Re: Shooting all weekend

#2 Post by artiglio »

Afternoon Mike,

Subject to the usual warnings regarding posted loads and use in different rifles, my load for sierra 155gr 2155's is 45gr of N140. This out of my 30" barrel is just about spot on the markings on my trakker sights upto 600 yds, depending on the day I might alter elevation by a minute either way. So your load may well be a little lighter than it could be.

regards phil
saddler

#3 Post by saddler »

artiglio wrote:Afternoon Mike,

Subject to the usual warnings regarding posted loads and use in different rifles, my load for sierra 155gr 2155's is 45gr of N140. This out of my 30" barrel is just about spot on the markings on my trakker sights upto 600 yds, depending on the day I might alter elevation by a minute either way. So your load may well be a little lighter than it could be.

regards phil
...AND also for a different caliber, of course!!

The Sierra #2155 is a .308 bullet

The Sierra MK for the .303 is #2315, a .311 dia. projectile
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

saddler wrote:
artiglio wrote:Afternoon Mike,

regards phil
...AND also for a different caliber, of course!!

The Sierra #2155 is a .308 bullet

The Sierra MK for the .303 is #2315, a .311 dia. projectile
I was wondering when he said mike said he only had 39gr in it whether it was a .303 or not, specially being a No4...

Nice writeup mike and cool photos :)

Those blokes seem to have no legs!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

Indeed, I was shooting a .303 :grin:

That range is probably where the Commonwealth Games shooting will take place in 2014. Barry Buddon is a great facility with so many different ranges. Would make a great Scottish National Shooting Centre if it was ever up for sale. Can't build on it as it is a Site of Scientific Interest I think.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
artiglio

#6 Post by artiglio »

Grovelling apologies, a prime example of read properly before you post.

sorry , phil
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

Saturday was a trip out with the No4 Mk2 to Barry Buddon. I had loaded some rounds with 41gns of N140 and they worked quite well last time out at 100yds but didn't appear consistent or produce small enough groups. I loaded some more for Saturday and dropped to 39gns of N140. At 200 yds they were doing well, grouping well with the sights set a little over 200 yds. However, back at 400 they were dropping into the mantlet requiring the sights to be wound up to 400yds. At 600yds, sights were set at 800yds with only 2 of my remaining rounds hitting the target. Was 39gns really do little powder to push the 180gn bullets fast enough hence the drop? Weather was great however.
Mike,
I just had a look at my Viht reloading manual and it says for 180 grain Bullets (Sierra) the max load with N140 is 39.7 grains! :o Any pressure signs?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#8 Post by TattooedGun »

Sandgroper wrote:
Mike,
I just had a look at my Viht reloading manual and it says for 180 grain Bullets (Sierra) the max load with N140 is 39.7 grains! :o Any pressure signs?
I guess the max pressure also depends on the jump. if its got a really small jump mixed with the low powder load, it could be under pressured as opposed to being the top end of the pressure had the bullet been seated deeper.

is 180gr normal for .303? or is it a heavier round? I have no experience in this calibre :(