Ammo storage ?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Dave 101

Ammo storage ?

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

I belive I have this correct section 2 shotgun ammo doesnt need to be locked away .
But for my own purpose if I stored it in a locked free standing gun cabinet on its own ie no guns in said cabinet , that would be OK .

Dave
phaedra1106

Re: Ammo storage ?

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

Under the bed, in the attic, in a locked cabinet, as long as it's out of sight and not within easy access for kiddies you're fine.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

phaedra1106 wrote:Under the bed, in the attic, in a locked cabinet, as long as it's out of sight and not within easy access for kiddies you're fine.
Two out of three of these in this house :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

As Jeff says you have it correct, you don't have to securely store S2 shotgun ammo, but its a good idea if theres a chance of kids getting at it to keep it out of reach. :good:

If the cabinet is not on the ground floor i would be careful how much you put in there though, especially if the cabinet is mounted in the 'normal' vertical/standing position as this may put excessive strain on the floor/roof structure :-P :run:
DVC
phaedra1106

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

Blackstuff wrote:i would be careful how much you put in there though, especially if the cabinet is mounted in the 'normal' vertical/standing position as this may put excessive strain on the floor
Have you been looking in my cupboards again?, I may get round to working out what 2500x.308, 2000x.44, 1500x.9mm bullets, 2500x12 gauge shells and a thousand or so brass cases actually weigh (plus the loaded ammo!) :good:

Then again, I may not want to know the answer :shifty:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
AL8

#6 Post by AL8 »

I think you will find its better not to know
forward observer

#7 Post by forward observer »

I wager the the chaps who hold. Only. Sgc. Will keep quite a bit of it around the place,I wonder. How they store it,perhaps a look on a clay shooting forum for a definitive answer,for my part I keep slugs with rifle ammo and I've got like 2. 250 slabs of 32g. 6 shot in a hidden dry cool place...........in answer. To the op,blackstuff has it absolutly right,out of sight somewhere sensible. I.e. Not in front of the tv,on the stairs or on the table!
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

phaedra1106 wrote:I may get round to working out what 2500x.308, 2000x.44, 1500x.9mm bullets, 2500x12 gauge shells and a thousand or so brass cases actually weigh (plus the loaded ammo!) :good:

Then again, I may not want to know the answer :shifty:
My guess would be it weighed somewhere between - severe back strain and a call to the insurance company because your cabinet is now in your front room and theres a hole in the ceiling :lol:
DVC
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I just asked for my holding of 7,62x51 to be upped to 2500 rounds, I doubt I would want to carry that lot in one go.

Nice to see my FEO allowed me a 'sensible' allowance of the 5,56x45/.223 and .22LR I just applied for.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

I keep mine in a few places ... in my office/study, a little in the main loft, mainly specials and have not bothered to move it and the majority in a second small loft where I have all of my comms equipment - modems, routers, hubs, network switches &c. Stays nice and warm and dry!.

Why I had my extension built, I had a small store included which houses my gun cabinets and wine stock. It is about 1.8x2m and the joists are 150x75 (6"x3") on 250mm centres. The structural engineer was told it had to take 400 bottles of wine, 3 cabinets (7-9 gun) and several thousand cartridges. And it does!

Cartridges do weigh a lot but the equivalent to an average person will be abound 2000 to 2500 cartridges.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.