Smith & Wesson Model 3 American "Show and tell"

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

huntervixen

Smith & Wesson Model 3 American "Show and tell"

#1 Post by huntervixen »

Hi all,

Thanks for the great response to my previous post and requests for more....What have you started!

I sold this fantastic monster of a Pistol (Not percussion I know but this seems the best place for it) to a very well known collector in the South ....Identity withheld at his request.

This is a now scarce (especially in the UK) and highly collectable, Smith & Wesson Model 3 (second model) commonly referred to as the "American".

This truly is a massive pistol, chambered in .44 American, it is much rarer than the more commonly encountered Model 3 Chambered in .44 Russian.

The Model 3 "American" is a historically very important US firearm. It was the first center fire Pistol used by the U.S Cavalry, it was also used by Wyatt Earp and Buffalo Bill Cody among others....Pure Wild West Americana!!

The serial number 16383 on the heel of the pistol grip, dates its year of manufacture as 1872.

It lacks any UK London/Birmingham proof markings, so it probably arrived in the UK as an antique.

The pistol clearly bears the following single line address on the barrel top-strap:
"S&W Springfield Mass U.S.A Pat. Jul. 10. 60. Jan .17. Feb .17 .11.65 & Aug .24. 69"

This Model 3 is in very good condition, with a lovely age related patina.

The revolver is Nickel finished, with a blued hammer and trigger guard and displays 70% original finish, with some light pitting in areas throughout the pistol.

At some point in it's life, the rust in the pitts has been cleaned away with very fine wire wool, so it no longer displays any rust anywhere on the pistol.

Mechanically it is excellent and functions without fault, I would say the grips have been replaced at some point, because the escutcheons on the Walnut grips look too good to be 140 years old, but they are excellent quality replacements.

The bore is generally very good, displaying light frosting and the odd pitt.

It does have the number 523 or 528 (very small, so I am not sure, even with my jewelers glass!) on the Cylinder loading face and under the frame latch.

(Unconfirmed history)
It apparently came to the UK via a well respected Canadian dealer (Date unknown), Originally shipped from the factory on January 15th 1873 to M. W. Robinson of New York, one of a batch of 100 Model 3's ordered.

Dimensions (All measurements approx)

Overall Length: 34 cm

Hight : 13 cm (tip of hammer to base of Pistol grip)

Barrel Length : 20 cm (.44 American Center Fire, 5 groove right hand twist bore)

Hope you like it, more to come!

Cheers, John.
Attachments
S&W Broken copy.jpg
S&W right copy.jpg
S&W left copy.jpg
John25

Re: Smith & Wesson Model 3 American "Show and tell"

#2 Post by John25 »

I am drooling, I know someone with a Model 3 in .44 Russian which I occasionally drool over too!

Thanks for the pics
Watcher

#3 Post by Watcher »

Such an elegant gun.
huntervixen

#4 Post by huntervixen »

Hi all,

I know, a wonderful piece of truly excellent design, the quality of the engineering is really first rate(take the side panel off and you would be forgiven for thinking it had been made by a watch maker) and reputedly very accurate even by todays standards.

I am green with envy that are American cousins can and do still shoot them.