Breech Plug Grease

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

SeaWolf

Breech Plug Grease

#1 Post by SeaWolf »

Just about to take delivery of a modern muzzle loading rifle, Ardesa Vortek. This rifle has a removable breech plug, which makes cleaning a doddle. These guns are not common here in the UK, as they are mainly used by hunters in the USA.

To keep the breech plug from siezing in its threads the manual says I should use breech plug grease. Can't find anyone selling this in the UK, and postage from the States can be pretty heavy.

Does anyone know what sort of grease this is, and where I can get it in the UK. The immediate thought is for something like Coppaslip, but someone said copper based greases should not be used on these guns (Can't remember the reason they gave ).

Any suggestions on what the best stuff to use is if proper breech plug grease is unobtainable here in the UK ?

Thanks,

Sea Wolf
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Breech Plug Grease

#2 Post by dromia »

PTF plumbers tape.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
greenshoots

#3 Post by greenshoots »

Blu

#4 Post by Blu »

Seawolf, I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I've had an inline (modern) muzzle loader for years and the breech plug has always come out easily enough without greasing it up once it has cooled.

Blu :twisted:
Burner

#5 Post by Burner »

I know a lot of people that use copper based and nickle based Anti seize on breach plugs with no problems of any kind.
It is easily found in any automotive supply house.
But like any breach plug lube they all tend to stick after 30 rounds or so.