BP, what do I need ?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Mikaveli

Re: BP, what do I need ?

#11 Post by Mikaveli »

Doz wrote:
Mikaveli wrote:Am I missing something - why can't you clean it indoors?
Think that depends on your other half! I put one of mine (minus it's grips) in the dishwasher, but then I have a particularly understanding wife...
I always clean my guns indoors. I've almost got the mrs convinced that it counts as housework too. :D
David-mauser

#12 Post by David-mauser »

Hi

I shoot a .44 Remington and a .36 colt with black powder only and clean them with hot soapy water in the kitchen sink. The revolvers are much more labour intensive to clean properly than my musketoon as you have all those chambers to clean as well and an amazing amount of gunk and bits of cap find their way into the frame and trigger group.

As for lube I use a mixture of beeswax and vegetable oil (no I'm not an eco-warrior, just cheap :good: ) all dispensed from an old hand soap pump but one guy I know swears by Swarfega, says it cleans his gun as he shoots! :lol:

You’ll also need something to put the caps onto the nipples with, especially in the cold weather. I use a piece of bent copper microbore tube but you can buy dedicated cappers for a tenner or so.

A homemade wooden frame to hold the pistol upright whilst loading is a godsend but you can do it without.

Also my club doesn’t allow powder flasks due to safety concerns emrolleyes so I pre-measure each charge and put them in a 6ml glass screw top test tube (ebay).

Have fun

Dave
whoowhoop

#13 Post by whoowhoop »

I used to use lard ( Cookeen) to seal the cylinder on my Navy. :oops:
Hey! we wuz poor and it was cheap.
Then it was outside with boiling water and BP solvent followed by oily rag.
The old m/l shotgun was the worst to clean :bad: until I made a clamp to hold the barrel. clapclap
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

You should give C2R a try.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dahonis

#15 Post by Dahonis »

Whats C2R please, looking at either a 1858 New Army Target Stainless Steel (8inch Barrel) £370
or a Euroarms Remington 1858 NMA Target Stainless £376.

These BP pistols are quite robust if they can survive a dishwasher
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

Try a forum search or just study the forum titles.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Watcher

#17 Post by Watcher »

Mikaveli wrote: Am I missing something - why can't you clean it indoors?
I used to use Youngs BP Solvent. Now I'd use it for aftershave but the wife takes a slightly different view :oops: