Anyone got an Armscor nitro muzzle loading revolver?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

25Pdr

Re: Anyone got an Armscor nitro muzzle loading revolver?

#11 Post by 25Pdr »

I've been trying to purchase one since last October. Alan sent me the following on 9/1/13.

"I haven't forgotten you. Unfortunately the latest batch of Armscor Revolvers that I picked up last week have a problem with the Cylinders. It looks like I shall have to make new cylinders for them all. So its going to be some time before they are available.
Regards, Alan. "
Primer

#12 Post by Primer »

25Pdr wrote:I've been trying to purchase one since last October. Alan sent me the following on 9/1/13.

"I haven't forgotten you. Unfortunately the latest batch of Armscor Revolvers that I picked up last week have a problem with the Cylinders. It looks like I shall have to make new cylinders for them all. So its going to be some time before they are available.
Regards, Alan. "
That doesn't sound very good, I wonder what the quality of rest of the gun is if the cylinders are scrap straight from the factory.
Mikaveli

#13 Post by Mikaveli »

What's the benefits of these Armscor conversions, instead of just a more modern / cartridge style BP revolver?

Like the 'Colt Peacemaker' Pietta and Uberti have recently (re)introduced - they sound cheaper (£350 ish) and easier to get hold of.
Primer

#14 Post by Primer »

Mikaveli wrote:What's the benefits of these Armscor conversions, instead of just a more modern / cartridge style BP revolver?

Like the 'Colt Peacemaker' Pietta and Uberti have recently (re)introduced - they sound cheaper (£350 ish) and easier to get hold of.
They use smokeless nitro powder to start, so no seperate explosives licenses required for purchasing black powder, also none of the mess, so not as anti social and shaped like a normal revolver rather than old Western style. I was shooting this morning and there was a guy doing black powder on the 25m range underneath me but the extraction fans for his range dump into the 50m that I was on and then the extractors on the 50 are supposed to pull it all out but they are not that efficient so my range was filling up with smoke, I ended up calling it a day as not only was it like shooting in fog it wasn't nice to breathe in either.
Individual

#15 Post by Individual »

Mikaveli wrote:What's the benefits of these Armscor conversions, instead of just a more modern / cartridge style BP revolver?

They are double action, which makes them more interesting for speed shoots. bangbang
alextwogun

#16 Post by alextwogun »

For what it's worth I used to own a Taurus conversion and sold it for the following reasons:

1. Would not accept hard cast ammo so had to rely on swaged soft lead ammo. I don't swage myself so this mean't issues with supply and therefore I coouldn't shoot it regularly.

2. Loading took more time and physical effort than say a Ruger Old Army

3. I had a few technical issues at first but these were resolved. In the end I went off the idea of conversions preferring to buy guns as they were meant to be made. I sold my LBR as well.

In all honesty I have more fun shooting my 5.5 or 7.5 Ruger Old Army than either the Taurus conversion or LBR and it's quicker to load than the conversion was.