LBP and Home Office ranges

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: LBP and Home Office ranges

#31 Post by dromia »

Andy632 wrote:This is the sort of issue that the NRA should be taking up and SORTING once & for always!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
nickb834

#32 Post by nickb834 »

G
dromia wrote:
Andy632 wrote:This is the sort of issue that the NRA should be taking up and SORTING once & for always!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
I have no love for the NRA and am not a member but, I have to ask - if you have such a low opinion of the NRA why on earth are you a member?

I don't mean that as criticism, I am genuinely curious to know why - especially as I'm not a member, I wonder why being so far up North relative to Bisley (you're further up than me however) and also me having a low opinion of the NRA, then why would anyone with either of those two attributes continue to fund said organisation?

TIA!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#33 Post by dromia »

That is a question I ask myself often, especially at this time of year when my membership is due.

The answer comes down to the fact that I am a firm believer that we need national representation, good strong national representation for all gun owners.

Now we have a plethora of organisations that seem to work against shooters by their diversity of interest and the fact that they are mainly about types of shooting rather than gun ownership. However on paper the NRA comes the closest along with the HBSA to representing the type of firearm interests I have.

So if I believe in national bodies then I should uphold that belief by being part of one hence my membership.

At least as a member there is the theory that I have some influence, I can vote at election time but that seems to make no difference.

I am indeed chronically disappointed with the NRA as an organisation for years we have been promised change and improvement, just look over the hollow debates on this forum over the past few years of F-B UKs existence, it just seems to get worse and worse and more Bisley focussed. That is in spite of the fact that there are some good people who work there and who have my respect. So what is one to do pish outside the tent or in?

I suppose if I leave the NRA with no viable alternative to join then I see that as giving up hope on shooting and I'm not quiet there yet although it is getting close.

Finally there is the age thing I suppose, when you have had more years than you are going to get then your thoughts drift to the past rather than the future and Ardachu. Some of my best shooting has been at Bisley and in the hills and mountains of Sutherland. So keeping my NRA membership is also part nostalgia.

For good or ill that is the most honest explanation I can give

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
nickb834

#34 Post by nickb834 »

Thanks for that - given me something to think about.
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#35 Post by FredB »

In summary: Target Shooters need a strong body to represent their interests.
The NRA is all we have.
Moaning and criticising from the outside serves no useful purpose---why should the NRA listen to non-members?
Constructive criticism from inside can produce results---not always and it feels like hard work.
So what else are you going to do?
Fred
Demonic69

#36 Post by Demonic69 »

Turn full-bore into a national body supporting all shooting sports? :-)
Countryman

#37 Post by Countryman »

At the moment this is the main issue as I see it. Our NRA is largely Bisley and F-Class focussed. ( Yes I am a member) There seems to be a few new faces with some new ideas coming through which is to be welcomed.

BASC see themselves as the voice of shooting. (Yes I am a member) they are fairly media savvy but are very well connected and do influence the decision makers. Do you see them jumping on an LBP issue?

Countryside Alliance encompasses game shooters and vermin shooters. Regularly scores own goals on this and will sell out shooters regularly over fox hunting.

British Deer Society if you are interested in Deer Stalking.

Clay Pigeon Shooting Association.
Small Bore Rifle Association
National Game Keepers Organisation.
Scottish?
Wildfowl?

Seriously STOP fractionalising an already small group. Stop focussing on niche marketing insurance and give us a voice!

What we need is a US style NRA. Even then don't think for a minute you can pay your subs and walk away. We must stand up for our sports every one of us.

The police advise us that talking openly about shooting is a security risk. We are being forced underground. What's the average age in your club?

Nibble nibble there goes SA then nibble nibble there goes Pistols. What's next? Oh it's only those Lever Release guys/ long barrelled pistol guys/ HME guys!

Who will be there to argue for you when they come for your guns?